Monday, September 10, 2007

Kyoto, Japan [Part 1]

What can I say. I'm a lazy guy. Which is why it's taken me so long to post my Kyoto trip photos. Nonetheless, they are here, and I can finally move on to my Victoria and Grouse Mountain photos.

CRW_1320
Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport. Not sure why I felt the need to include this picture, but perhaps it follows chronological order to do so (I did take off on an airplane from somewhere to get to Japan).

CRW_1373
This is Kansai International Airport, which is built on an artificial island in the middle of Osaka Bay. It should not be confused with Osaka International Airport, which now only handles domestic flights and is located nearer the city than compared to Kansai International.

CRW_1375
First meal after the 3+ hour flight. There's actually udon to go along with the tempura, but obviously it didn't make it into my CF card (i.e. I was too tired to care).

CRW_1382
One of my favourite deserts - Dorayaki. According wikipedia (what we'd all do without it, eh?), it "is a type of Japanese confection which consists of two small pancake-like patties made from kasutera wrapped around a filling of sweet red bean paste."

It's almost impossible to find authenticate (or edible, for that matter) Dorayaki in Vancouver. The ones I've so far managed to obtain are either too dry or downright insulting to my taste buds.

CRW_1434
Here's sitting on the bus on my way to Byodo-in, located in the city of Uji in Kyoto Prefecture, with nothing better to do than to snap random pictures of the scenery.

CRW_1441
Another random shot of the countryside.

CRW_1444
Here's the bus driver assigned to my tour group. That thing he's holding up is made by himself - zoom in if you want to read what it all says (it's in English, if you were wondering). He's a very friendly guy and on occasion (more often than I'd care for) would "entertain" us with his singing over the bus' speaker system.

CRW_1469
Crossing the bridge into the city of Uji.

CRW_1483
Entrance to the Byodo-in - not to be confused with the replica temple in Hawaii. For those who crave more info, go here.

CRW_1484

CRW_1488

CRW_1493

CRW_1521

CRW_1524

CRW_1547
After the temple, our tour group went to this place for a Japanese Tea Ceremony (nothing ceremonial about it, believe me). The guy in the picture is the owner of the tea shop - he's very talkative, and if you let him, he'll go on for hours about this grandfather who used to provide tea for the Emperor of Japan.

CRW_1555

CRW_1558
Here's the front of his store.

CRW_1562
And here's the street on which his store is located.

CRW_1566
And for no other reason than to waste film (for memory, in my case), here's a picture of Kyoto's street lamp.

That's it for this post - more to follow, eventually. Now it's time to move on to genetics.

Cheers,
Solemn Observer
10 September 2007

No comments: