Sunday, August 5, 2007

Photographic Journey [Episode 4]

Here's the final batch of Taiwan photos. Next up will be the Japan trip photos.

CRW_0873
Seafood prepared by my grandmother - very delicious, the sauce is terrific when poured on rice.

CRW_0880
I suppose this is called glutinous oil rice (油飯) - the actual food is much tastier than its English name suggests. The ones that I can find in Vancouver are usually either quite dry or too oily - a sacrifice that one must make to live in such a beautiful country, I guess.

CRW_0885
Its ingredients are actually quite plain - glutinous rice (obviously, as the name suggested), some Taiwanese or Chinese mushroom, oil, and perhaps some dried mini-shrimps for flavor.

CRW_1054
Hopefully Starbucks won't come knocking on my door for photographing their symbol, but I've fallen under the habit of documenting meals and snacks. Actually, this cake was quite good.

CRW_1057
didn't taste this one, but I'm sure it was delicious.

CRW_1065
And here's another.

CRW_1161
My family also visited the Shilin residence of the late-president/dictator, Chiang Kai-shek. The grounds are now open to the public with nice gardens.

CRW_1164
The grounds also host a small cafe. I didn't go in myself, but according to the sign, it features breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, group dinners, and apparently, souvenirs.

CRW_1165

CRW_1192
OK, I lied, most of the residence is open to the public, but a small area remains closed. This picture shows the private building.

CRW_1199
Still inside the residence grounds.

CRW_1212
One of the area's many entrances.

Well, that's it for my Taiwan photos. Check back soon for pictures of Kyoto and Osaka.

Cheers,
Solemn Observer
5 August 2007

No comments: